Tuesday, January 30, 2007

#23 - The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom



This book has been on my shelf for several months and I kept putting off reading it. I thought it might be either sappy or depressing...and I wasn't in the mood for either.

Then someone on PBS (Paperbackswap) requested it from my book listing. It's a relatively short book, so I decided I'd read it before mailing it out.

I'm glad I did. The book is neither sappy, nor depressing.

The main character is an 83-year old man who dies trying to save a little girl from being killed in an amusement park accident. He goes to heaven and finds out that the first thing that happens after death is a review of his life with 5 people that were affected by his life and choices.

This is a very powerful book about the importance of forgiveness. The old man needed to learn how to forgive, and also how to ask for forgiveness. And as he looked back over his life, he realized many things about life, and the people around him, that he didn't notice while alive.

I definitely recommend this book! It's an engaging story that is emotional without being too over the top.

2007 50 Book Challenge: 3/50 !!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I loved this book....looking forward to reading the next one...Just One More Day

7:35 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I also enjoyed this book. A fast but meaningful read. The ending haunted me, the power of forgiveness. I also read Tuesdays with Morrie, which I enjoyed. I will be adding Just One More Day to my pbs wishlist (which is how I found your blog, through pbs).

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home