Thursday, September 27, 2007

#59 - Legends, Lies and Cherished Myths of World History



This book was so interesting!! I love history, and I was amazed at how much I thought was true that isn't, and how much I thought I knew that I didn't. :)

If you like anecdotes about history, you would enjoy this book by Richard Shenkman.

Just a few tidbits from the book:

Winston Churchill's famous WWII speech that talks about "our finest hour'' was not actually broadcast by Churchill himself. A radio actor, Norman Shelley, was hired as a standin. That's Shelley's voice on that famous recording we've all heard a thousand times, not Churchill at all.

Columbus did not discover that the world was round. That myth was started by Washington Irving.

Marie Antoinette did not actually ever say "Let them eat cake.''

I really enjoyed this book! :)

50 Book Challenge 2007: 39/50

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home