Thursday, July 03, 2008

# 95 - Pemberly by Emma Tennant



All I can really say about this continuation of Pride and Prejudice is that is was ok.

Tennant tries to stay true to Austen's characterizations, but the plot pretty much falls flat. The story starts a year after Elizabeth marries Fitzwilliam Darcy. Darcy is upset because they don't have a child yet, and the two families are still grousing over the marriage.

The plot just re-hashed the same problems from the original novel and seemed a bit like a forced sequel.

I've read several continuations of Pride and Prejudice and have yet to find one that I really like, and that seems to be a good re-visit to Austen's characters.

I think my conclusion is really leaning towards the fact that P&P really doesn't need a sequel, and that nobody can really write like Jane Austen.

Some stories just aren't meant to have a Part 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home