Monday, May 21, 2007

#37 - Wicked by Gregory Macguire




I really really wanted to enjoy this book. I loved the Oz books as a child, and I've seen the movie more times than I can count. And the idea of a book telling a more modern version of the story from the perspective of the witch was intriguing for me.

But for me, it was a let down.

I've read review after review touting the boldness and great storyline of this book....and surely they don't make musicals out of bad books. But, for me, this book was hard to read. I tried several times to get into the book, and ended up putting it aside to read something else. Wicked sat on my shelf for more than 6 months, and I just couldn't make myself finish it. Finally, I picked it up and gave it one last chance.....and I did finish it this time.

I don't see where all the hype comes from, to be honest. I didn't find the political undertones of Oz interesting at all. There were some funny moments, and some of the plot was interesting. But the sex in the book just was a bit too much. I mean....who really wants to know that the witch had an affair with the king of the winkies? That has an Ew factor of about 12. And, the plot plodded along so slowly that after about 100 pages I just didn't care anymore.

What could have been a delightful book was just a badly developed political satire. There were good moments.....but the bad moments and the boredom outnumbered the good. And I'm really sorry to have to say that.....this is one book I really wanted to enjoy. And, I did try to like it. But I can't lie and say that I thought it was great.

I really don't see what all the hype was about. I'm disappointed.

I have Macguire's "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister'' on my shelf waiting to be read. I hope that I like that book better. If it's another let down like this one, I'm not going to force myself to finish it.


50 Book Challenge 2007: 17/50

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I've heard of these books but didn't know what they were...thanks for the review. Oh, and don't you just love paperback swap...that is the BEST EVER!!!! Hey, are you part of "Library Thing"...basically just a place to keep track of your books. If not, check it out on my site.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I kept slogging through it figuring there was a point but I was sadly disappointed.

I am stunned it is a big musical, but I'm sure they rewrote it massively.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home