Sunday, May 27, 2007

#38 - Emily's Secret by Jill Jones



I didn't realize this book was a romance novel when I purchased it. The synoposis on the back of the book talked about a researcher discovering new information about the life and death of Emily Bronte.

But soon after starting to read the book, I discovered it was more of a romance novel than a "real'' book. I was really disappointed.

The story line is ok....I can't say much without spoiling the plot for anyone interested in reading it. Let's just say the story line is more about researcher meets female painter who is mysteriously painting haunting pictures linked to Emily Bronte. And add in a pinch more gothic-ness ---- old gypsy curses, the ghost of Emily Bronte and her dog --- and you have a very melodramatic romance novel with a touch of history to it.

And the ending was the most melodramatic bit of all. I can't tell you what is discovered about Bronte's death, but it was definitely a wooden plot twist of romance novel proportions. (note slight sarcasm...lol) It was like reading a soap opera.

I can say that Jones' writing skills are good. The book is well-written. I just don't care for the romance novel genre. And if you strip away the snippets of history about the Bronte sisters, this book is basically a formula romance novel.

I do have to give Jones kudos for writing a bit more "high-brow'' romance novel. But, I won't be reading any more of her books....but only because I really don't care at all for romance novels.

If you enjoy the historical romance genre, give her books a try.

50 Book Challenge 2007: 18/50

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home